On the 11th February 2019 the UK Government updated their guidance on how businesses can continue to trade and deal in fluorinated greenhouse gases and ozone-depleting substances in the UK and EU, if there’s no EU withdrawal deal. The guide is for businesses and individuals who currently need to follow EU regulations. Guidance

The guide explains how the F gas and ODS regulations will change from 30 March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, including:

  • the new quota, reporting and licensing systems for F gas and ODS
  • how to apply for quota for 2019 and subsequent years
  • how to convert EU quota authorisations into UK authorisations
  • how to continue your eligibility for an EU quota to place hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) on the EU market

After 30 March 2019 you will need a UK HFC quota if your business places on the UK market HFCs equivalent to 100 tonnes or more of carbon dioxide (CO2 ) per year. This total includes any imports to the UK from the EU.

Businesses will need to be registered on the new UK F gas system. The Environment Agency will manage the system, including UK HFC quota allocation which you’ll use to:

  • apply for a UK quota
  • report on your activities

Government Press Release